Travel & Lifestyle
- Most Expensive Christmas Gifts In The World That Money Can Buy [INFOGRAPHIC]
Most Expensive Christmas Gifts In The World That Money Can Buy [INFOGRAPHIC]
It’s Christmas shopping time again! Though it’s really the thought that counts, some Christmas gifts cost very little and some can cost you a lot–and then some.
In this season of giving, have you ever wondered about some of the most expensive Christmas presents in the history of mankind? Read on or scroll down for the nice infographic:
Top 6 Most Expensive Christmas Gifts In The World
1. Elizabeth Taylor’s Jewelry Collection
- Price tag: USD 116,000,000
- Why it’s expensive: Features 80 gems from the screen legend’s personal collection, including the “La Peregrina”, a 16th-century pearl necklace that ex-husband Richard Burton gave her in 1969.
- Who got it: A certain Daniel Pang, who bought the collection in December 2011 on behalf of a Korean hotel conglomerate.
2. The First-Ever Christmas Card
- Price tag: USD 28,000
- Why it’s expensive: This card was illustrated by John Calcott Horsley, one of the inventors of the Christmas card. Of the 1000 cards originally printed in 1843, only 12 are thought to survive till today.
- Who got it: The buyer remains anonymous, but is believed to be a Londoner.
3. A Silver Himalayan Handbag
- Price tag: USD 129,000
- Why it’s expensive: This Hermes Birkin bag is made from white crocodile leather and features a 3-carat diamond on the lock. There’s a four-year waiting list for those who want this bag for themselves.
- Who got it: Victoria Beckham, who got it as a Christmas gift in year 2009 from husband David Beckham.
4. Mike Tyson’s Bathtub
- Price tag: USD 2,000,000
- Why it’s expensive: The tub is made of 24-karat solid gold.
- Who got it: “Iron Mike” gave the bathtub as a Christmas gift to his first wife Robin Givens.
5. Sandy Weill’s NYC Penthouse
- Price tag: USD 88,000,000
- Why it’s expensive: The apartment is located in the ritzy Central Park West district of Manhattan. It boasts 7,000 square feet, four bedrooms, two wood-burning fireplaces, a wraparound terrace, and Brazilian rosewood paneling, among other luxurious touches.
- Who got it: Russian billionaire Dmitriy Rybolovlev bought the penthouse from Weill in December 2011 and gave it to his daughter as a Christmas present.
6. The Three Magi’s Gifts
- Price tag: Around USD 22,000
- Why it’s expensive: Gold, myrrh, and frankincense were prized for their symbolic and ritualistic uses in biblical times. Assuming the Three Wise Men gave a pound of each at least, you’re still looking at a gift package worth over USD 20,000 in today’s money.
- Who got it: The Baby Jesus, son of God and saviour of man in the Christian and Catholic tradition.
Share this Image On Your Site
Related: Top 12 Money-Saving Tips for Christmas
Related: Last Minute Christmas Gift Ideas Under RM50
Related: Practical Tips for Giving Christmas Gifts on a Budget
Related: Best Christmas Buffet Deals In Klang Valley
Related: 12 Ways of Christmas Shopping
Related: 15 Money-Saving Gift Shopping Tips For Christmas