Through the Employees Provident Fund’s (EPF) i-Sinar facility, members can withdraw up to RM60,000 from their Account 1. Category 1 members have been able to submit their applications since Dec 1, 2020, while members under Category 2 can start applying today. Here’s a quick step-by-step application guide.
Need extra cash to cover your living expenses during troubled times? You might want to consider applying for the EPF i-Sinar withdrawal facility, which has enabled EPF members who were affected by job losses and pay cuts to withdraw parts of their retirement savings.
According to The News Straits Times, the EPF has approved 2.5 million applications as of January 4. Just like these successful applicants, you too can benefit from i-Sinar. However, before starting your application process, you should check your eligibility status and the amount of money you can withdraw.
Are you eligible for i-Sinar?
According to the EPF, contributors who are applying for the i-Sinar facility are divided into two categories:
1. i-Sinar Category 1
Since December 21, 2020, the EPF has been accepting i-Sinar applications from members who fall under Category 1. (Image source: EPF)
You belong in Category 1 if...
- You are an EPF member who has not contributed to the EPF for at least two consecutive months, OR
- You are still working but your base salary has been reduced by 30% or more since March 2020.
You don’t need to attach any supporting documents along with your application, as the EPF can verify your data based on its internal records.
Since December 21, 2020, the EPF has been accepting i-Sinar applications from members who fall under Category 1. So if you are eligible, feel free to apply now at the official iSinar portal.
2. i-Sinar Category 2
If you are in Category 2, you can start applying for the i-Sinar facility from January 11, 2021 (that’s today!). (Image source: EPF)
Meanwhile, EPF members who belong in Category 2 are those who have experienced a 30% reduction or more in their total income since March 1, 2020. (Your total income would include your base salary and other benefits such as allowances and overtime.)
If you are in Category 2, you can start applying for the i-Sinar facility from January 11, 2021. The EPF will also require you to submit the following supporting documents:
- Your salary slips before and after the income reduction, and
- A notice from your employer, which states that your allowances/overtime claims have been suspended or reduced
EPF members who are unable to provide these documents can submit other relevant documentation such as bank statements or an employer’s written acknowledgement for consideration.
How much money can you withdraw?
If you have an EPF Account 1 savings balance of RM100,000 or less, you can withdraw up to RM10,000 and the payments to you will be staggered across six months. Once approved, you can receive up to RM5,000 for the first payout.
For members who have more than RM100,000 in their Account 1, they can withdraw up to 10% of their savings or up to RM60,000 – whichever is lower. The payments will be staggered across six months, and you could receive a maximum of RM10,000 for your first payout.
Related: How To Withdraw EPF Account Savings For Personal Use?
The EPF has prepared an easy-to-understand guide on how to apply for i-Sinar. (Image source: EPF)
Now that you have all the facts, let’s start your application process!
It’s easy to apply for i-Sinar. Just follow this step-by-step guide from the EPF:
1. Visit the official iSinar website at https://isinar.kwsp.gov.my. Select “Permohonan Baharu” (New Application).
2. Select “Yes” if your base salary has been reduced by 30% or more since 1 March 2020, or you have not contributed to the EPF for at least two consecutive months.
3. Enter your IC and mobile number.
4. Click “Continue”.
5. A menu will pop up, prompting you to enter your One-Time Pin (OTP). At around the same time, you will receive an OTP via SMS on your mobile phone. Enter your OTP at the pop-up menu.
6. On the following screen, use the slider to set your preferred withdrawal amount from Account 1.
Move the slider from left to right to set your preferred withdrawal amount from Account 1. (Image source: EPF)
7. Use the next slider to set your preferred first payout amount. The i-Sinar tool will automatically adjust your payout for the subsequent months.
Move this slider to set your preferred first payout amount. (Image source: EPF)
8. Complete your personal details on the next screen.
9. Enter your bank account details for the payout.
10. Enter your salary details (before and after the income reduction). Remember to attach supporting documents such as your salary slips and a notice from your employer about your allowance/overtime cut.
11. Double-check your details before clicking “Submit”.
12. The EPF has received your application. You can check your application status in 21 working days.
Related: How Much Should You Have In Savings by The Age of 30?
How to check your application status
After waiting for 21 working days, it’s time to check your i-Sinar application status. Visit the “Semak Status Permohonan” (Check Application Status) webpage and enter your IC as well as mobile number. If your application has not been approved yet, the following page will show “Permohonan anda sedang diproses” (Your application is still in process).
Hope in the dark
We hope the i-Sinar facility will be able to ease your financial burdens in these uncertain times. Good luck with your application!