How To Reduce Your Monthly Expenses With A Smart Credit Card
Have your groceries and daily necessities gotten more expensive lately? After a pandemic-induced decline in prices for 2020, Bank Negara Malaysia (BNM) has announced that headline inflation (which measures the total inflation within an economy, including food and energy prices) will temporarily spike to above 5% in the second quarter of 2021.
In times like this, with rising inflation and job uncertainty, isn’t it great if you can reduce monthly expenses to give your strained wallet some breathing space? However, saving money doesn’t mean you have to give up your Netflix subscription and online shopping.
Enjoy up to 30% cashback (capped at a total of RM50 a month)
With the eco-friendly, CarbonNeutral® Standard Chartered Smart credit card, you can have the best of both worlds: reduce your spending with up to 30% cashback (capped at a total of RM50 a month) and still indulge in the things you enjoy.
Save up to RM30 monthly when you shop and use e-wallets
From 1 May until 31 December 2021, you can enjoy up to 30% cashback (capped at RM30) a month as a Standard Chartered Smart credit cardholder. This means you’ll receive a maximum of RM30 cashback every month when you spend through:
- Lazada, Shopee, Zalora, and TaoBao shopping platforms
- GrabPay, Touch ‘n Go e-wallet, Boost, and FavePay
To unlock this cashback, all you have to do is spend a minimum of RM1,000 in total retail purchases each month with a Standard Chartered Smart credit card.
This example will give you a clearer picture of how the cashback works:
|Merchants||Amount spent||30% Cashback|
|Other retail spend||RM900||RM0|
Promotion period: 1 May – 31 December 2021. Terms and conditions apply.
Linking up your Standard Chartered Smart credit card to an e-wallet has added perks – such as RM30 cashback every month.
Lower your digital entertainment expenses with RM20 cashback each month
Saving your Standard Chartered Smart credit card on entertainment apps also comes with additional privileges such as this 6% cashback (capped at RM20) monthly for your favourite streaming, music and video games platforms such as Astro, JOOX, iQIYI, Netflix, PlayStation, Spotify, and Steam.
Besides unlocking the 30% cashback for online shopping and e-wallet usage (as mentioned above), you’ll also unlock this 6% cashback at the same time when you spend a minimum of RM1,000 in retail purchases every month with your card.
This scenario will give you a clearer picture of how the cashback works:
|Merchants||Amount spent||6% cashback|
|Netflix and Spotify||RM80||RM4.80|
|Other retail spend||RM650||RM0|
Now you can enjoy up to RM20 cashback per month for your favourite streaming series, music and video games.
Additional cashbacks, discounts and savings
Besides the various platforms mentioned above, you can also enjoy additional benefits and save even more when you use your Standard Chartered Smart credit card.
Food delivery (#SCFoodieDeals)
Just link your card to these apps:
- foodpanda: RM8 off when you spend a minimum of RM40 (excluding taxes, packaging/cutlery charges and delivery fees)
- GrabFood: RM8 voucher for your next order when you spend at least RM50 on the Grab app (excluding delivery fees)
Online shopping (#SCWOWDeals)
Enjoy these shopping perks:
- Shopee Mondays: RM20 off when you spend a minimum of RM150 via the Shopee app. Promo Code: SCBMON.
- Lazada Tuesdays: RM20 off when you spend at least RM150 via the Lazada app. Promo Code: SCBTUE.
- Taobao Wednesdays: RM20 off with a minimum spend of RM150 at world.taobao.com.
- Zalora Thursdays: 20% off when you spend at least RM150 via the Zalora app/website.
- Happy Fresh Fridays: RM20 off when you spend a minimum of RM150 at HappyFresh.
Dining privileges especially for you:
- Enjoy 20% cashback when you dine at any of these participating restaurants.
- Get up to 33% off you when you pay for your meals with the Standard Chartered Smart credit card.
Extra protection when shopping online (USD200 coverage)
As the Standard Chartered Smart credit card is a Visa card, you can also benefit from the Visa eCommerce Purchase Protection plan. When you make online purchases with this credit card, you’ll be covered for possible losses of up to USD200 per claim when:
- Your purchased item has not been delivered even after 30 days of scheduled delivery
- You receive the wrong delivery or an incomplete item
- There are physical damages to your item
With the Standard Chartered Smart credit card, you can purchase regular adult GSC cinema tickets for just RM10 daily except Wednesdays.
Cheaper GSC movie tickets (RM10 daily except Wednesdays)
In the near future, when the number of COVID-19 cases have dwindled and we have been vaccinated, you may want to visit the cinema again to experience blockbusters and cinematic wonders. With the Standard Chartered Smart credit card, you can purchase regular adult tickets for just RM10!
This offer is valid daily except for Wednesdays, and you can enjoy this privilege until 31 December 2021.
As you can see, if you use a credit card that suits your needs and lifestyle, you can enjoy discounts, and even cashback to cushion the cost of living. Apply for the Standard Chartered Smart credit card today and get rewarded with attractive prizes!
- Zero cash advance fees
- Malaysia’s first CarbonNeutral® credit card
- 30% dining cashback
- 20% off on online shopping
- Exclusive rewards from your favourite e-wallets
- Get extra cash with 0% interest rate